Monday, July 30, 2007

Updated ActiveRecord Code Generator

Today, I updated the ActiveRecord Code Generator a bit. I checked in changes to use primary and foreign key details from INFORMATION_SCHEMA. The original code used naming conventions to decide what various fields were used for - ID = Primary Key, Field_ID = Foreign Key to table Fields. If you want to use naming conventions, let me know and I can add a setting in App.Config to allow this (along with any "real" key constraints).

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jim R said...

Thanks for posting this handly generator. I have had a few issues with it. Mostly to do with naming and foreign keys. One issue appears to be related to the truncating that is done to remove plurals in table names. It appears to happen twice in some instances. Also, there seems to be some strict constraints on naming of tables and keys for foreign keys. And, I got some errors that I do not understand yet on "PrimaryKey" attributes. I was able to get around that by replacing the generated attribute code with simply "[PrimaryKey]".

I am new to both NHibernate and ActiveRecord, so working throught these issues is taking me a while, but, I do intend to research all of them completely. If you would like, I would be glad to assist improving the tool.

BTW, I do really like the idea of removing plurals from the table names. I have not seen that feature in some other code generators for NHibernate.

August 02, 2007 8:28 AM  
Blogger Roy Tate said...

It sounds like you downloaded the first version that I released. If not, could you post a CREATE TABLE script on the Google Code project with a few of related tables. If you had problems with primary keys, you must have grabbed the first version, before I started looking at INFORMATION_SCHEMA to decide what PK an FK constraints were.

I need to just read information on plural table / singular class from a file, and only fall back to my guess-work code if no entry is found. That will allow us to build a word list up, checked in to source control, and released with the app.

August 02, 2007 12:24 PM  
Blogger Jim R said...

I verified that I am using revision 4 from Subversion repository. I will post the code and schema to Google Code. But, I am newbie to Google Code. I will let you know when I have it there. Going to do some more research first. I have verified that name are getting truncated. Here is sample line from the class for a table named ChangeControlAttachments the has a foreign key relationship to a table named ChangeControl:
private ChangeContro _changeContro;

FYI, in my source version I added a "Browse..." button for the output folder.

August 02, 2007 1:24 PM  
Blogger Jim R said...

Browse button code:

private void btnBrowse_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

{
System.Windows.Forms.FolderBrowserDialog dlg = new FolderBrowserDialog();

if (dlg.ShowDialog() == DialogResult.OK)
{
this.OutputDir = dlg.SelectedPath;
}
}

August 02, 2007 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home